15 December 2008

Red Level 1 - Week 1 Day 1

Duration = 40:01
Distance = 3.23
Calories = 357
Max HR = 159
Avg HR = 148
Running Index = 41
Max Cadence = 91
Avg Cadence = 88

The start of a new program. Day 1 of Level 1 (Weeks 1-4 of the Red Intermediate Plan in Daniels' Running Formula (2nd Ed.)) calls for 30 minutes of E pace (currently 12:11/mile) followed by 6 strides. Strides are hard to do on a treadmill, so I just added 10 more minutes of E pace. Today was immediate start quickly ramping the treadmill up to 5.0, then adjusting until I was as close as I could get to the target pace. 4.8 was best today yielding an average pace of 12:14. My wife read to me as I ran which really helps the time go by. I stopped immediately at the end of the 40 minutes and did several stretches. The immediate start is okay, but I think I will slow to a walk before stopping the treadmill. It is also possible that this pace a touch fast for its purpose. On a track or trail, I expect that getting back to the car or the house will be sufficient cool-down.

No comments: