03 March 2009

One Mile Time Trial

Duration = 32:01
Distance = 2.71
Calories = 292
Max HR = 183
Avg HR = 146
Running Index = 46
Max Cadence = 105
Avg Cadence = 86

The goal for today's run was to perform a one mile time trial to get an idea of current fitness and set some reasonable training paces based on that. This trail is based on the "Miracle Mile" from Jeff Galloway's book and website. The timed mile is embedded in a longer session including warm-up and cool-down. He suggests not using a treadmill, but I figure that, if anything, my treadmill understates speed and distance.

My warm-up was a walking lap at 3.0 -> 3.5 -> 4.0 mph, then a 5.0 running lap. I did a short walk at 3.0, then started the timed mile. The first 5 minutes were at 6.5, then I did a 30 second walk at 3.0. After the brief walk, I resumed using a new speed of 7.0. The last half lap was at 7.5 -> 8.0. The time for the mile was 9:10. I walked for 4 minutes at 3.5 then finished the rest of the session with a run/walk of 5.0/3.0. The last run was at 6.0 and the last walk was at 3.5. Final cool-down was at 3.0.

In rough numbers, and using the more pessimistic prediction, the pace for a 5K is 10:00, for a 10K is 10:30, and for the marathon is 12:00. This yields a training pace of 14:00 if I were to follow a strict reading of Galloway's method. I've been using 10:00 as the pace of the runs of the two weekday run/walks and 12:00 for the run during the Sunday long run/walk. My current goal race is a 10K in April. I think what I've been doing is in line with this program for now. I will do another time trial next Tuesday starting with a speed of 7.0 and see how that goes.

No comments: