01 February 2009

2009 Super 5K, Novi, MI, USA

Duration = 42:48
Distance = 3.18
Calories = 364
Max HR = 178
Avg HR = 153
Running Index = 36
Max Cadence = 99
Avg Cadence = 82

One objective for 2009 accomplished: I did finish my first 5K.

This morning was clear and not as cold as it had been. The temperature at the start of the race as 33 F with a 13 mph wind from the west. I was actually over dressed for the conditions. I was wearing compression shorts, silk-weight wicking layer top and bottom, exercise shorts, wind pants, t-shirt, fleece liner top, gortex jacket, glove liners, knit cap, socks and road running shoes. I had stuffed the glove liners and the cap into pockets by the first mile. I partially unzipped the jacket and liner a bit before the turn-around which was shortly before the second mile. The return was into the wind, but this wasn't a problem. The course was all pavement and mostly out and back. There was some relief, but nothing significant.

I should have gone with the original plan: running 1 minute and walking 2 minutes. I went out faster than planned and didn't start alternating until something like 9 minutes into the race. I ended up walking most of mile 3. I finished running with good form and a nice pace. As long as I keep moving, I don't have major issues. The knee is sore and gets stiff if I leave it in the same position too long.

My gun time is 42:40, but I didn't get to the start for almost 2 minutes. Based on gun time, I was the slowest in my age group. I need to wait for the results to be posted to see my final time. Assuming I get past this knee issue, a PR (personal record) should be relatively easy.

Final results have been posted:
My chip time was 40:40.56
1104 of 1125 overall
639 of 644 males
97 of 98 age-group males

[Edited 2009-02-01 2322 to add final results]
[Edited 2009-02-09 2053 to update final results]

No comments: