03 November 2008

Rough Monday Run

Duration = 40:00
Distance = 2.60
Calories = 364

Schedule called for a run today, off tomorrow, run Wednesday and Thursday, off Friday. Timed run on the weekend. I really wanted to get three runs in and I knew I couldn't run on Friday (and I wanted Friday off as I may have to run for the assessment on Saturday).

I did finish the run, but I may have been too aggressive. I had planned a constant speed run at 5.0 mph (12:00/mile) which feels better over time than trying to actually use a running gait at a slower rate. I can't afford an injury, so I'm listening very hard to what my body is telling me.

I did a good series of stretches, but I could probably try a few different ones to see how they help and maybe do a second run through the stretches. I could also figure out how to get a bit of a warm-up before the stretching. Warm-up was 5:00 of walking at 2.5 pushing quickly to 3.5. Conditioning phase started at 5.0 for 10 minutes. Had a bit of an ache in my legs that wasn't improving, so I slowed to a 3.0 walk for 5 minutes, ran at 5.0 for 5 minutes, walked at 3.0 for 5 minutes, ran at 5.0 for the last 5 minutes. Cool-down was from 3.0 to 2.0 for 5 minutes. I did a series of stretches after the cool-down and currently (couple hours later) don't have any significant stiffness.

Tomorrow is off. I plan to do an interval approach until I can run the full session at 5.0. There are times when I'm paying particular attention to my stride and form that everything feels good without heavy pounding that I tend to get into. Overall, I think I'll try to ensure I have rest day after the long run.

No comments: