24 November 2008

Good Hard Session

Duration = 32:01
Distance = 2.30
Calories = 320
Max HR = 190
Avg HR = 153
Running Index = 32
Max Cadence = 90
Avg Cadence = 71

Tonight was the most intense session to date. The best part is that I actually feel good. I did a series of high steps to get the blood flowing and then stretched the now warm muscles. I started with a slowly ramping 5 minute warm-up on the treadmill. The base pace for the stress phase was 5.0 mph (12:00/mile). I maintained this base throughout the stress phase. I did a 30 second and a 90 second burst to 7.0 (8:35/mile) and finishing burst to 8.0 (7:30/mile) for 30 seconds. I did a 12 minutes cool-down from 3.5 to 2.0. At that point, I stopped the HRM, but I continued to move for some time after the end of the exercise. I finished with some good stretches. Wednesday, I will do more regular intervals to 7.0.

This morning, I did both the fitness assessment and the Optimizer. The OwnIndex was 34. This is actually less than the 36 I've gotten the last couple of times, but it may have been influenced by the exercise yesterday. The OwnOptimizer registered as noting Training Effect which indicates that my cardio system is showing the effects of recent exertion. Considering the effort expended yesterday, I would have been a bit surprised if it hadn't shown anything.

The software included allows overlying the data from multiple sessions for comparison. (I wish they had native support for Linux or Mac). I've just been comparing this session with Friday. Today my heart rate increased at a slower rate through the warm-up and into the stress phase. In fact, it wasn't until 5 minutes into the stress at a higher speed that my heart rate matched Friday's session. It did cross higher until the first 7.0 burst.

I do these posts shortly after the session itself. I can't believe I feel this good. (I'm sure I will pay for it later.)

No comments: