08 January 2009

Week 1 Thursday - Tempo Run

Duration = 35:12
Distance = 3.33
Calories = 332
Max HR = 177
Avg HR = 162
Running Index = 41
Max Cadence = 94
Avg Cadence = 91

I postponed yesterdays run to today as I wasn't feeling well. Also, earlier in the day, I still had some discomfort around my right knee and left ankle that were gone by evening, but bear watching. I will also need to be alert for my reaction to whey protein as that was the significant new thing I ate yesterday. (From memory, I may need to be a bit more detailed in a personal log made at the time as Hal Higdon recommends.) As a precaution, I am dropping the Monday runs and making that a rest day with only strength and stretching exercises.

I did the Tempo somewhat in accordance to Hal Higdon's description. I warmed-up with 8 minutes of my normal "easy" pace (11:30). I then slowly increased the speed to my tempo target pace (9:20) over 11 minutes. I maintained the tempo pace for 4 minutes, then slowed back to the "easy" pace over the next 7 minutes. I completed the last 5 minutes of the 35 called for in the plan at this "easy" pace. Review of the session data show the heart rate peaked at 90% of Heart Rate Reserve which is right in line with the target for a tempo run.

I may have to figure out a way to rig a fan for when I am on the treadmill as I think the heat I was developing may have made this feel harder than the effort would normally have deserved. Also, I need to remember to bring water and at least keep my mouth and throat from getting dry as this also increased the discomfort.

Another change I am making is to replace the cross-training on Saturday with runs adapted from the half marathon plan. I will do cross-training when the opportunity presents itself, but I have a run sequence to use to improve my conditioning. If I start having issues, I will change this back to cross-training.

As I write this, I am comfortably fatigued, there are no sharp pains or any discomforts concerning me.

No comments: