17 November 2009

A Pleasant Surprise

Duration = 1:06:18
Distance = 5.01
Calories = 571
Max HR = 156
Avg HR = 145
Running Index = 45
Max Cadence = 97
Avg Cadence = 90

I used the same plan as yesterday with the exception being that I was going to run for 60 minutes instead of 45. I expected that I would see a very similar progression. What happened is that my heart rate seemed to be ramping up at a slower rate. I made it all the way to 4.9 mph (vs 4.5 yesterday) before I hit 145, the bottom of the range (145-155) I want to run in for the time being. I maintained 4.9 until I started bumping the top of that target range after 14 minutes (27 minutes into the session). I dropped to 4.8. The next drops were also .1 each after 9 and 10 minutes. The last section was run at 4.6. The cool-down was to 4.5 then .5 each minute to 2.0 finishing with a heart rate of 125 after 1 minute at 2.0.

I don't totally understand the difference unless it is a bit cooler in the basement today. The watch if anything measured a touch warmer (72°F vs 70°F). I don't wear the watch when running on the treadmill; I attach it to a bar on the treadmill. I experienced no significant discomfort during this run. It is nice to have run up to 10% faster for the same heart rate. Individual session variation is one reason I am using this whole week as a baseline for this training cycle.

No comments: